Friday 19 June 2009

WARM UP AND COOL DOWN

You have to do this. i am living proof that you cant get away with not stretching before and after doing a circuit, or any sort of training.
I started my weights circuit yesterday and i went straight to the gym and straight onto the weights without a second thought to a warm up, this is probably due to my half hearted efforts in the past, so it hasn't effected me so much. but after a good old session of beasting myself doing back and shoulders, by six o'clock last night i was in agony, my chest burned, my shoulders were tight and my back kept clicking when i stretched it out. not good......

the benefits of stretching and a good warm up is that it increases blood saturation in your muscles, tendons and ligaments which in turn increases the elasticity. This has two benefits it allows you to sleep comfortably at night, and allows you to be able to get a backpack on without the aid of another person, seriously i was thrashing around like an idiot, trying to get my backpack on. but seriously it also allows you to do your workout with more efficiency and power.
It also wakes up your nerve impulses, this improves your co-ordination, which is vital when your doing free weights.

the cool down is just as important as the warm up, believe me all i want to do after a workout is lie in a big snotty heap on the floor for half an hour then have somebody place me on my sofa at home turn on the TV and bring me a brew.
the cool down encourages increased circulation in the muscles you've been working. this increases the oxygen in your bloodstream and breaks down the lactic acid.
so take the time to do a full warm up and cool down as it is defiantly worth it, i wont be missing one again

No comments:

Post a Comment